Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Hamstrings... so ... sore...

I wimped out yesterday. Yep, I did.

I did yoga in the morning, but was so extremely tired after work that I could NOT make myself get on the bike. It really didn't help that I had a brutal commute home and was almost hit twice and had a verbal altercation with a guy driving a huge van. So I was emotionally and physically spent.

My hamstrings are so sore. As I was running on the treadmill at work today, I couldn't help but do some mental training in "the zone." I quickly found myself was running halfway through the Ironman marathon. My hamstrings were sore, but I had to run through it. I imagined people on the side of the road cheering me on and how I had to keep going and breathe into the pain. "In pain there is truth." But then I was brought back to reality by the beeping of my heart-rate monitor as I got out of my zone (I was into the 180s), the whirring of the treadmill, and the tunes in my ipod. I remembered that I have 36 weeks left to train. I can still build up my muscles, I can still work on my hamstrings. I have lots of time and lots of reasons to kick it up with my weight training. It'll be worth it!

This morning I did yoga again and I realized once again that I recover a lot faster when I consistently do yoga as opposed to when I don't do yoga. My hamstrings are still a bit sore, but I can tell that they are mending well. Also, I'm keeping a food log for this week.

Tonight I'll hit the bike for about an hour. I'm still not sure how I will get my Christmas shopping done, but I'll figure it out. I also have a chiropractor appointment today after work. Taking care of myself... check!

No comments: