Monday, October 02, 2006

Let the training begin - Week 1

Today was the beginning of my new training plan. Susan, my coach, sent me my schedule for the week and, as expected, seems pretty mellow.

My thighs are a little sore from the running workout I had last night, which included some sprinting. It reminded me that I haven't sprinted in a long time and it felt really good. There really is something about pumping my arms and going as fast as I can for a short distance. I'm really built for short-distance and love the feeling of freedom I get at the max pace. Maybe one day I'll do a sprint triathlon. However, there is something really great about long-distance as well.

Today I did my yoga when I got up and it was really great to start off my day and week with the stretching of my power yoga DVD. I ate some breakfast, including my vitamins, and then headed to the gym - my local YWCA. I'm really not a fan of weights. In fact, in the past, I've claimed to hate weights. However, I know that it will help with my training for Ironman and triathlons in general, so I am willing to let go of my hate of standing in one spot doing the same exercise over and over again in order to have better results. One thing I learned today at the gym is that I must MUST MUST bring my own music. Unless I'm in a club, I really don't ever want to hear the remix version of Grease Lightning. Yes, call me a music snob, but I'd rather listen to nothing than listen to songs like that.

So I did my half-hour workout, which included step-ups, squats, seated-row, standing-row, hamstring curls, and a core workout. The thing I love about the YWCA is the diversity of the people there. From the young girls who come in pairs to the body-building guys to the elderly vision-impaired woman, all workout at the same time. I love it! So i had a great workout before heading off to work. Tonight I have an hour and a half swim workout with the Univesrity Tri Club (called STUC for short). I look forward to kicking it up a notch in the pool tonight.

edit:
Tonight's swim was really good. However, halfway through I got a nasty case of heartburn. This has happened before. It only happens when I swim at night. Sometimes it happens in morning swims, but I only get it when I swim. I'm not sure what my body is trying to tell me, so I'd better figure it out.

Tonight's workout:
300m warmup - freestyle, breast stroke, back stroke, and butterfly
4 x 100m IM (butter my back until my breast is free)
8 x 50m kick (alternating flutter and dolphin kick)
3 x 200m free
8 x 50m sprint free
500m free
100m cool down
= 2700m, time: 1:20
I felt pretty good. The sprints were hard; the last 10m of each interval was really hard - I felt like I was dragging a brick in the water and I felt like I would lose my form. However, the rest was really good. The tops of my thighs still hurt... in a good way.

No comments: