Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The Wind

In Penticton, the wind is a prairie myth. On the prairies, it can be a cyclists best friend or worst nightmare. Yesterday, it was a little of both. That's what a cross- to head-wind can be. As I cycled out to meet my friend (thank goodness for Heather as my motivator!), I couldn't help but think about how painful it was. After back-to-back runs Monday afternoon and Tuesday morning, my thighs were rubbery. They felt like stopping, they begged me to stop. My stomach was growling and wanted actual food instead of the sports drink I was drinking. My mind was reeling from a normal day at work. The only thing I kept thinking was "spin spin spin spin spin." I took solace in the fact that Wednesday was an off-day. Thank goodness! My cardio is really coming back so I don't have to worry as much about my lungs, but my legs were so tired. I knew that if I just spun it out I would make it in "decent" time. Decent was an average speed 18km/hr going out. By the end of the day coming back, with Heather breaking the cross- to tail-wind, it ended up being about 40km at 21km/hr. Brutal. Definitely one of my hardest rides this year, but I'm sure it won't be the last. So while we don't have mountains, we have the relentless, whistle-in-your-ear-until-it-rings wind.

2 comments:

Tuco said...

I hate those long rides where the wind is coming from everywhere, and you just feel like you're getting beaten up by a boxer for a few hours.

Heck - sometimes just the sound of the wind howling in my ears throughout the course of a long ride can drive me nuts!

Good luck with the training!

Crystal said...

I totally know what you mean. It has not been uncommon for me to scream in frustration at the wind. Usually I just yell "COME ON!" in an attempt to make it stop. Of course it doesn't and neither do I. :o)