Monday, January 22, 2007

Some days are just better than others

A mere two days ago, I ran 3km at a snails pace and felt terrible. It was my first run since being healthy again. Compare that to tonight, when I went for a 6km run in 45 minutes. I felt great from the very beginning. The temperature was perfect at -4 degrees C and the sun was just starting to set. I think it was a mind-set thing. I had a short day at work and it felt very spring-like as I walked home from my staff meeting. It was relatively unstressful and maybe that came out in my run.

As I started, it felt so magical. The snow wafted slowly down as the sky was light pink from the setting sun. People were smiling and happy. I wore light clothing and I felt like I was floating. My stride was long and smooth and I listened to my Ipod shuffle just to kick it up a notch. I used to never listen to music when running because I thought it took away from concentration of my run. I still think it does, but in the winter sometimes I just need a little more boost to get me out of my warm house.

My feet and ankles are kind of giving me grief these days. They just are not happy and I think I might have to change shoes. I have a pair waiting for me at Brainsport, so I'm going to go there this weekend to see if I can purchase them. Sometimes feet just need a change of shoe, even though my current shoes are only 1 month old (they are identical to the last pair I had). I also got a stitch in my side early on, but with some breathing techniques it quickly disappeared. All of this was in the first couple of kilometres. The rest of it was easy peasy and I felt great!

After the run, I did some abs and push-ups to top it off. Again, I felt great. YAY for being healthy!! I can't wait to mellow out with some yoga tomorrow morning.

No comments: